Friday, February 11, 2011

Harry Potter...it's getting a little ridiculous

I keep having dreams that I'm Harry Potter. There is more than one thing wrong with this. First, of all I'm not a wizard (biggest disappointment of life), and second of all, I don't think Harry ever had to fight zombies.

My first HP dream happened about two weeks ago. I, along with some of my enchanted friends (the numbers varied), attempted to fight off an attack of angry zombies, who were trying to take over the world. Pretty much the fate of mankind was in my hands - lot's of pressure since I was the 'Chosen One'. The problem was that I didn't think to use my wand..or maybe it wasn't working. Instead, the killing process (as much as you can kill zombies) involved jamming knives into their heads....it was a bloody business, and I don't mean bloody in the British way, like I'm not swearing. It was actually quite gruesome.  I can't remember if Team Magic was successful or not...

My second dream happened last night. I was with Hermione (who, upon waking, I realized had been Gaeby) and we were concocting a special potion to aid us on a secret adventure that would surely save the world. She was going to hide it, along with some other necessary wizardry objects, in this large obvious container, and I said 'Why don't we use that much smaller container instead?' and she said 'OMG that's such a better idea, you're so smart!', which is funny coming from Hermione because she knows everything...kind of like Gaeby....OH MY GOSH maybe my unconscious mind is making some really valid connections!!!! However I'm not sure about the whole saving the world business...please someone analyze my dreams and tell me what they mean.

Yet it was very fitting that I dreamt of HP last night because today we had a field study in London, where we visited Harrow. This all-boys school is steeped in history, and its graduates include Lord Byron, Winston Churchill (plus 16 other British prime ministers) and plenty of other famous men who I didn't know. The trip was for my Children's Lit class, and we're methodically working our way towards reading the first HP book. The whole class is focused upon the Schoolboy novel.. so it makes sense I guess that I dreamt of Harry...except that I WAS Harry....I think living in a Castle is getting to me.

This school is so embedded in English culture that they have a museum. Here is a picture of my friend Katie (she's from Manitoba!) kissing a model of a British schoolboy. While we didn't actually get to see any of the boys (aged 13-18) as they were all conveniently visiting St. Paul's Cathedral to celebrate the 440th anniversary of the founding of their school by John Lyon, who was given a Charter to build the school by Queen Elizabeth I, we did get to see this one solitary figure...

No comments:

Post a Comment