Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Harry Potter and Castle Classes

Classes have commenced. There's been some switching around, and now I'm very content. I wasn't feeling the class of three students (including me) so I dropped it. Apparently one of the other girls did too, so I guess the lone remainder will have all the attention she needs. Still, I can't imagine being the only student in a class. It would be really obvious during discussion that I hadn't finished my reading. Plus it's a drama course! Well, the study of British theatre, with an emphasis on physicality, but I'm not taking it anymore so we're not going to talk about that.

Instead, I'm taking Art History (Impressionism and Post-Impressionism), Jacobean Theatre (ie Shakespeare), British Autobiographies, and Children's Theatre (ie the Harry Potter class...yes I am studying Harry Potter at a Castle in England). With four courses, plus traveling, I think I'll have my hands full. This weekend my Art class is going on a field trip to London to visit the National Gallery. Gaeby and I plan to stay over in London at the house of Jill and Geoff, good friends of my family. I've been to London a couple times (it's so great when you have somewhere to stay!) so I've done all the touristy stuff. Shopping will be grand, and just to walk around the city and experience London. When I figure it out, I'll do my best to describe its essence. I had a grade 11 teacher who, on the first day of class, asked us to describe our essence on a piece of paper so that he could have a better idea of who we are. I said my mom thinks I'm brilliant. I still hold to that.

Tonight there's a themed night at the Pub. The theme is "Who Are You", which you know is really appropriate because there's a bunch of new people at the Castle and everyone's trying to make friends. I'm going to wear this mask I bought on sale from Urban Outfitters. It's covered in Peacock feathers - how appropriate!! I mean, after my peacock adventure the other day.

The food's been better than I expected. Meat and potatoes always, and steamed veggies, but the meat is pretty good. Some favourites so far: meatballs, pork ribs, potatoes, salad bar (always), waffles, yogurt, rice, water, pizza, wedges (you know, fries), orange juice mixed with grapefruit juice, and chocolate shortbread for dessert. Gaeby and I signed up for Yoga classes today so I've got exercise covered (kidding). But really, pumped for yoga. There's a small gym with mats, but we could easily do it outside since it's so mild. It hasn't been sunny since that first day...but I have hope. It rained once for ten minutes.

Every teacher has been pronouncing my last name as Borthick, like not ignoring the 'w'. Apparently that's how you say it around here, and they should know since this is where I'm from. Well, maybe more Scotland than England. We have a Castle there.

I can't really say a lot about this, not until Gaeby and I have explored the Castle more, but we think we have found something...something that was not meant to be found. I mean, we'd get into a lot of trouble, potentially. First we have to figure out if it's legitimate, than we'll see if it's something we can blog about.

Off to Harry Potter class.

For Big E, Graceland.

1 comment: